Thursday, February 24, 2011

Week 40 | Monday: Doc appointment & scheduled C-section

Monday, February 21: Today we had our 40 week doctor's appointment at 8:30am. We started the appointment with all of the standards: blood pressure and weight for mom and heartrate and position for baby.

Next, our doctor checked for dilation and effacement and that was the first indicator that things may not be progressing along, naturally, as well as we would like. She then tried to determine his position in the pelvic cavity and wasn't able to pinpoint if he was down into position so she did an ultrasound. The ultrasound picture showed us that baby was doing perfect (8 of 8) but that he was very highly positioned. From just these two factors the doctor determined that Cooper may not be dropped because the pelvic cavity's too small for him to be able to. This coupled with a family history, my small frame, a bit of high blood pressure, and the unprogressing cervix and our doctor reluctantly made the recommendation for us to have a C-section.  Our doctor explained that she very rarely makes this recommendation but there were so many factors that it just didn't look promising that we'd be able to have him naturally.

After a thorough explanation of our options we made the decision to move forward with her recommendation. Our next question was when and she said "how's Wednesday?" We knew it was obviously going to happen soon but Wednesday?... well, was Wednesday - as in two days away! After this conversation and because of the high blood pressure she wanted us to take some labs taken and told us to be prepared for a possible Tuesday C-section! 

So, after a full lab work-up and an hour later of giving work and our families a heads-up our doctor called and first reassured us that baby was doing great but that she'd like to do the C-section Tuesday morning at 7:30am. This was all happening very quickly! So, Owen and I both finished up a few tasks and he picked me back up around lunch to head home. 

We spent the rest of the afternoon not only letting it sink in but getting prepared which meant cleaning the house, finishing packing the hospital bags, completing a list of work tasks and picking up my parents from the airport.

We got to bed that night around 10:30pm both very excited and looking forward to the journey we were about to begin.

As expected it was a rough night of sleep for me so I got up around 2am and finished up some work-related tasks until about 4:30pm. My alarm was set to go off at 5:15am so for the next 45 minutes I dozed on and off. At

5:15am the best day of our lives will begin...

No comments:

Post a Comment